Veganism is picking up in popular culture. Movie stars, musicians, and entertainers are all picking up the vegan lifestyle. Oprah even had a vegan challenge for a week not so long ago. Veganism – what’s the appeal? A strict no animal product diet doesn’t seem very Vegan Sources of Omega 3 DHA and EPA glamorous, or easy. But the vegan diet has its benefits!
First of all the vegan diet reminds you on a daily basis that you’re not harming animals. There have been many a documentary and organization concerning the food industry, PETA being the most notable. If you’re not all about animal rights, a vegan diet is healthy! No animal products cuts out a ton of fat and processed food from your diet. High fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, and saturated fats are all contributing to the obesity epidemic sweeping America. Adopting a vegan diet really helps cut those out. Meat can also be expensive, so a vegan diet helps cut costs, as well!
But going vegan isn’t an easy process. It’s tough to quit eating animal products cold turkey. As someone who is lactose intolerant, I avoid a ton of dairy products to begin with it. But cutting out comfort foods such as chicken nuggets or cupcakes can be difficult, especially when you have a bad day and all you want to do is eat. Therefore, a gradual process is necessary when it comes to switching to a vegan diet.
1. Try to cut out meat and fish in general. There are other foods that provide filling protein, such as tofu. Tofu is amazingly versatile and can absorb so much flavor, and it can be cooked in a way that it doesn’t look like white cubes. Meat is a big thing to give up, so giving it up gradually might help make the transition easier.
2. Start skipping out on cheese. Not adding a ton of cheese to that baked potato can be a step on the right track towards a vegan diet. Your salad doesn’t need crumbled bleu cheese to be flavorful! There are non dairy cheese alternatives out there to make the transition easier.
3. Skip the butter! There are plenty of non dairy buttery substitutes out there, so butter is easy to give up on.
4. Cut out eggs. Eggs are an animal product too, so giving up that morning omelet is a part of adopting a vegan diet.
5. Find substitutions! There are tons of substitutions for your favorite dairy laden foods out there. Tofutti is a brand that’s well known for its non dairy ice cream, cream cheese, sour cream, and pizza. Check out your local Whole Foods for some more alternatives to the foods you’re giving up.
Going vegan is a tough process, and you might not be willing to part with some foods. Some forms of veganism are incredibly strict, cutting out bleached flour and processed sugar. There’s no real “vegan code”, aside from the traditional no animal products. But when you’ve started to make the change, coming up with entire meals can be difficult.
My blog is a place where you can get some ideas for a vegan meal that isn’t incredibly bland and boring!
Going vegan isn’t for everyone. Maybe you’re looking to get healthier and just want to go vegetarian, or give up dairy. Taking tips from the vegan lifestyle can help you reach both of those goals.